I recently bought a Garmin Edge 705 bicycle GPS and the documentation is, how can I put this, terse? So I thought I’d document what I found out as I went along.
To add a new map to your Garmin Edge 705 using Windows (assumes you have a .img file)
- Get a Micro SD card and insert it into your Garmin Edge. Apparently the unit used to only support cards up to 2 gigabytes, but I think I also saw that this limitation is now fixed. I’d check for yourself though
- Connect your unit to your computer using the USB cable supplied, make sure it shows up as a drive in Windows Explorer. You should see one drive for the main unit and another for the SD card
- Create a new folder in the root of the SD card and call it Garmin
- Copy your map (.img) file into the Garmin folder you have just created, I’m not sure whether the map needs a particular name, mine is called gmapsupp.img
- Now disconnect your unit and switch it on, it should be using the new map. You can check by pushing the menu button on your unit, then going to ‘Settings’ then ‘Map’ and you should see the name of the map you have just installed at the bottom of the screen